Additions to 4

Salve
    Retired party leader
    Retired party leader

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Additions to 4

Post by Salve on Wed 18 Jun 2008 - 5:20

Starting at the top of the Constitution working my way down the first section by order that I believe needs to amended is 4:

Current Section wrote:4 The freedom of speech is inviolable, but can be violated when the Nation is in a state of emergency.

As the law reads now the Norwegian government is given an open canvas to create its own interpretation of "state of emergency" thereby limiting freedom of speech however they see fit (of course as long as the admins uphold it, which god knows I'm sure they've baffled everyone here before Mad). This is a very disheartening section and a potential a great disservice to Norwegian citizens. Therefore I propose to we firstly add subsection 4.1:

4.1 A "State of Emergency" shall be defined for this purpose solely as the act of engaging in a declared war.

Now that we've determined in which event the state can react we should limit the capacity in which it can react. I propose the addition of this subsection 4.2:

4.2 The "Nation" shall only limit the freedom of speech in the media sector and national forums and only in cases where the interests of national security have been breached.

Now so there is no vagueness we must define national security interests in 4.3:
    4.3 "National security interests" shall be defined as the spread of military information, and violation of said interests shall only be determined to have occurred after review by the whole of Congress and after a simplemajority vote.

And finally we should wrap up with to what extent the government can limit speech with 4.4 and 4.5:

4.4 Punishment shall be limited to self or admin censorship of sensitive information, and in "special cases" the enacting of fines shall be determined by the Congress and enforced by the admins.

4.5 "Special Cases" shall be defined as cases where the accused has on more than one occasion been found in violation of the policy outlined in 4.

In its entirety I propose that the finished 4 reads as follows (red text indicates the additions):

4 The freedom of speech is inviolable, but can be violated when the Nation is in a state of emergency.

4.1 A "State of Emergency" shall be defined for this purpose solely as the act of engaging in a declared war.

4.2 The "Nation" shall only limit the freedom of speech in the media sector and national forums and only in cases where the interests of national security have been breached.

4.3 "National security interests" shall be defined as the spread of military information, and violation of said interests shall only be determined to have occurred after review by the whole of Congress and after a simple majority vote.

4.4 Punishment shall be limited to self or admin censorship of sensitive information, and in "special cases" the enacting of fines shall be determined by the Congress and enforced by the admins.

4.5 "Special Cases" shall be defined as cases where the accused has on more than one occasion been found in violation of the policy outlined in 4.

I believe with these amendments we can insure that a very important freedom of eNorway has been secured, at the same time leaving the original law somewhat intact and still useful in some unforseen cases. Any thoughts?

foxx0
    Congress member
    Congress member

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Re: Additions to 4

Post by foxx0 on Wed 18 Jun 2008 - 13:13

Salve wrote:Starting at the top of the Constitution working my way down the first section by order that I believe needs to amended is 4:

Current Section wrote:4 The freedom of speech is inviolable, but can be violated when the Nation is in a state of emergency.

As the law reads now the Norwegian government is given an open canvas to create its own interpretation of "state of emergency" thereby limiting freedom of speech however they see fit (of course as long as the admins uphold it, which god knows I'm sure they've baffled everyone here before Mad). This is a very disheartening section and a potential a great disservice to Norwegian citizens. Therefore I propose to we firstly add subsection 4.1:

Now that we've determined in which event the state can react we should limit the capacity in which it can react. I propose the addition of this subsection 4.2:

Now so there is no vagueness we must define national security interests in 4.3:
    4.3 "National security interests" shall be defined as the spread of military information, and violation of said interests shall only be determined to have occurred after review by the whole of Congress and after a simplemajority vote.

And finally we should wrap up with to what extent the government can limit speech with 4.4 and 4.5:

In its entirety I propose that the finished 4 reads as follows (red text indicates the additions):

4 The freedom of speech is inviolable, but can be violated when the Nation is in a state of emergency.

4.3 "National security interests" shall be defined as the spread of military information, and violation of said interests shall only be determined to have occurred after review by the whole of Congress and after a simple majority vote.

I believe with these amendments we can insure that a very important freedom of eNorway has been secured, at the same time leaving the original law somewhat intact and still useful in some unforseen cases. Any thoughts?

And how is the nation's security breach desided? Maybe by congress?
    Salve
    Retired party leader
    Retired party leader

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by Salve on Wed 18 Jun 2008 - 13:57

Yup, Smile

Dave McCoy
    The Party President
    The Party President

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2008-02-21

Post by Dave McCoy on Wed 18 Jun 2008 - 16:53

Looks good, we needed some explanations to 4. Good work Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Nov 2018 - 17:26